Wednesday, June 01, 2016

10 Songs


So… since I’m officially off duty in the teaching department, I thought it would be fun to do some sort of challenge here on the blog that would encourage me to write more and specifically, more often. This is very simple, I will write one post each day for 30 days. 

I had read about this sort of challenges for a while, but never thought I had the time to actually do them, at least not until now, so without further ado, here it goes.

Day 1: Put your iPod* on shuffle. List the first 10 songs that play and how you feel about them.
Disclaimer: I have to say that my music library consists solely of songs from the 90’s and until around 2010, with the occasional oldie and the even stranger new hit.

1. 'Deep in my heart' by Britney Spears. This is embarrassing, probably not the greatest way to start, but it is what it is. Most Britney songs remind me of my junior high days and sleepovers with my friends. I actually remember the very first time I heard Britney’s first album (which includes this song). It was not a single but I like that it’s catchy (and cheesy). 
Favorite line: (chorus, what a surprise) Deep in my heart I know there’s only you and right from the start I always knew. I never let go ‘cause I love you so. Ooh I want you for the rest of my life.
Dedicated to: A <3 font="">

2. 'Lifestyle of the rich and famous' by Good Charlotte. My love for punk-rock music should not be a surprise. I even wrote a post about this very topic not too long ago. GC reminds me of high school, when I met new friends who were also into this type of music, when I briefly joined a band and went to more Battle of the Bands events than I can remember. 
Favorite line: Always see it on TV or read it in the magazines, celebrities want sympathy. All they do is piss and moan inside the Rolling Stone, talkin’ about how hard life can be… (mo money mo problems!)
Dedicated to: many people actually come to mind, but I rather not say.

3. 'November Rain' by Guns N Roses. This is probably the only NOT embarrassing song I got. I’m not really a Guns N Roses fan, but got into them because my friends from junior high had a band and played many of their songs (plus they are classic). This song is really sad, but it reminds me of my brother who is a big fan.
Favorite line: And when your fears subside and shadows still remain, I know that you can love me when there's no one left to blame. So never mind the darkness, we still can find a way 'cause nothin' lasts forever, even cold November rain.

4. 'No te pido flores' by Fanny Lu. (I’m not asking for flowers would be the translation for this song). This is a good one in the sense that is actually the response to a song previously written by the male counterpart in which he sends her flowers. The song reminds me of nights out in my hometown with girlfriends where the live band would play both the songs and we would sing and dance away.
Favorite line: Yo sólo quiero que me digas que no hay mujer que más admiras (I only want you to tell me that there’s no other woman you admire most’.

5. 'So Long Sweet Summer' by Dashboard Confessional. Any song with the word ‘summer’ in it, automatically becomes attached to my summer at Disney and this one is no exception. It’s a specially sadder song since it’s about good byes and stuff, but not less catchy.
Favorite line: Hey thanks, thanks for that summer…
Dedicated to: my Disney friends <3 font="">

6. 'That Power' by Will.I.Am feat. Justin Beaver. After every other song that played before, I’m surprised this one popped out. Not the kind of music I usually listen to, but it reminds me of the time I spent in Sheffield studying (and going on nights out with other Mexican friends and international students), Viva la Fiesta and Embrace.
Favorite line: And oh, I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive. And I'm loving every second, minute, hour, bigger, better, stronger power
Dedicated to: the girls from Sustainable Studies

7. 'Fly' by Nicki Minaj feat. Rihanna. Also not my type of music, but I think I heard it on Glee and liked it, so I looked it up. I really love the message of the song and its empowerment of women, which is no surprise that my favorite part is actually the chorus.
Favorite line: I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive. I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise. To fly
Dedicated to: every woman ever

8. 'I Wish You Were Here' by Incubus. This song takes me back to high school too when I got really into Incubus. I even went to a concert once when I was visiting friends/attending a conference in Monterrey, plus Brandon Boyd (heart eyes emoji).
Favorite line: I'm counting ufo's. I signal them with my lighter and in this moment i am happy, happy.
Dedicated to: my former best friend

9. 'Ven a Ver' by Byron. This song could not be more appropriate. It’s a song about my hometown, sung by a local performer (who happened to play most nights at my favorite night club back home). The tittle also has a double meaning as it could be ‘Come to see’ as well as ‘Come to Ver’ which is short for Veracruz, my hometown.
Favorite line: Veracruz, quisiera darte una canción con música de Agustínn Lara y con letra del poeta Díaz Mirón (Veracruz, I’d like to give you a song with music from Agustín Lara and lyrics from the poet, Díaz Mirón)
Dedicated to: Jarochos, everywhere

10. 'Forever and Always' by Taylor Swift. Of all the TS songs I could not have gotten ‘Welcome to NY’ or something cooler than this?… well, again pretty lame, but this song reminds me of a time before A, when I was doing pretty bad (pathetic) in the romance department. I guess it’s just one of those songs you scream at the top of your lungs when you feel hurt and you wish he was listening (or maybe not really).
Favorite line: ‘Cause I was there when you said forever and always. You didn’t mean it, baby!
Dedicated to: those guys before THE ONE

Well this was fun! 
Have you ever done this?
Try it and let me know? I’d love to read.


G.

*My iPhone has only two artists on it for the time being, so I thought I'd cheat and use my iTunes library on the laptop instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment