Monday, July 18, 2016

Prized Possessions

Day 22: What is your most prized possession and why?

When asked this question before, my answer has always been the same: my most prized possessions are two stuffed animals my grandmother (my dad's mother) bought for me growing up. She was a professor with a degree in special education whom we lost from cancer way too soon. She was caring and loving and really fun. These bears are a Fozzie Bear from the Muppet Babies and a rattle Teddy Bear. I actually remember getting both of them around the time I was 4-5 years old. The store where we got Fozzie still exists in a really old shopping center in my hometown. As for the other one, it was originally supposed to be for my (then) baby sister (who was actually still on the way) but I loved it so much, I kept it for myself.

My bears at home in Veracruz
There's absolutely nothing special about them, except the fact they were gifts from my grandma. They have both seen better times (Fozzie's nose was bitten off by my first dog, Spanky and the Teddy has had more washes than anyone could count). They are old and ragged, but I love them so much.

For as long as I can remember, they traveled with me around Mexico, the United States, Canada and even got to go around Europe during my time in England. They lived with me through the Disney ICP, my holiday in Puerto Rico and my year in Sheffield. Finally they moved to Mexico City with me after returning, where we lived for almost three years.

Here in a hostel in Dublin (pardon the mess)
About a year and a half ago when I moved here with A, I decided it was time to let go of them. Not in a 'get rid of them' kind of way, but I just didn't think they belonged in my 'adult house' with my boyfriend. And so I keep them in my childhood bedroom back home in Veracruz where I know my mom keeps them safe until it is time for them to meet their new owners (hopefully my kids, some day).

I have plenty of things I love back at home, but these are definitely the ones I cherish the most. What are your most prized posessions?

g.

*Cover image via here.

No comments:

Post a Comment