Friday, February 13, 2015

On Valentine's Day...



I am the kind of person who 'celebrates' everything (White T-shirt Day, Museum Selfie Day, Ice Cream for Breakfast Day and the list goes on. A teases me about this a lot), so naturally, Valentine's Day is at the top of my holiday list.

Although I've been in relationships before throughout my life, I have never celebrated VD in a romantic way, not because I didn't want to, but I guess it was not in the cards for me. My first VD with a boyfriend was spent at his house watching a slasher movie with my best friend as a third wheel. One time I got flowers on February 14th from my significant other and then never heard of him again. Another time, we had plans but I got stood up and ended up watching Mamma Mia! at home, ALONE. The closest to a decent VD was a couple years ago when I was in Puebla for work and got to eat lunch with A... and my mom. 

Even though A and I have been together for almost five years, we had never lived in the same place* until now, and because of that, we had not been able to celebrate this holiday. Not that A is the kind of person that would celebrate VD... he's the kind of person that believes love should be professed year round. But so should be the love for parents, grandparents, children, and we still 'celebrate' those holidays.

I guess how people feel about this holiday depends on their current relationship status, but what we have to keep in mind is that Valentine's Day celebrates love AND friendship. So, single? grab your gal pals! Like I said, I didn't always celebrate VD in a romantic way. I loved sending notes and roses to my girl friends via the school's secret cupid or prepping for our school's annual Valentines Day Festival where each group had to come up with an original song and choreography about friendship. We kept going back for years, even after we had graduated.

This year I was looking forward to food coloring everything possible, and eating lots of heart shaped stuff (Domino's pizza I'm looking at you), but I'll be OK with just eating chocolates (preferably in a heart shaped package). We are having pre-VD date night tonight, then VD lunch with friends tomorrow and enjoying the rest of the weekend with family visiting (escaping from Veracruz's Carnival). Do you celebrate VD? How are you celebrating?

g.

*I moved in with A in Mexico City when I got back from Sheffield, but that just lasted a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment