Tuesday, April 28, 2015

RPQ: Just Do It


I read a lot of blogging tips before starting my second blog. Many of them recommended to plan ahead, to keep a notebook with you at all times to jot down ideas for blog posts, to have an 'editorial' calendar... and so on. But let's be realistic. That's great advice when you're a full time blogger, which I'm not. I have a job. I know this really shouldn't be an excuse for slacking off and not posting in the longest time, but the truth is, sometimes life just gets in the way.

In any case, I saw this image a while ago, pinned it and then instagrammed it because it made sense to me back then for a reason I now can't remember. When I was plotting to start this blog back in October, I remembered I had pinned it and things clicked: I needed to start worrying about having notebooks full of ideas of what I'd write about, that's just not how I work. 

Chances are, this hasn't shown in what I've written so far, but I feel like I can't just write on schedule. I find it hard to write the days I work as I am well, quite busy, but on days I don't, there's so much to do around the house or errands to run and as much as I'd like to dedicate myself full time to crafting and home decorating, it's not a possibility (right now). I write when things happen to me, when I find something inspiring, when I want to share something I've done or achieved. Occasionally, I'm sure, I'll post about things I love and personal stuff, maybe even recipes or my reviews of some place I visited, and this things are what life is about, and not exactly planned.

So I stopped giving myself a hard time for not coming up with more ideas to fill a journal with or for not coming up with an editorial calendar, and I just started writing some things... I wrote about adapting to a new city, starting traditions and our first Christmas living together. But then, life happened and I didn't start the blog when I wanted to and then it was 2015 already and I hadn't posted about Halloween so it didn't make sense anymore (Do you ever write stuff that doesn't get posted because of timing?).

If I had waited until I had 365 blog post ideas, I'd still be working on that and this blog wouldn't exist. I didn't need to get ready, I just needed to start.

The greatness about this quote is that it applies for many things in life. Do you always stall things because you don't feel ready? Believe me, you don't need to be, just do it! Life is what happens while you're busy making plans (or getting ready) ;)

g.

*Image via here.

No comments:

Post a Comment