Thursday, April 30, 2015

All Time Favorites: Kiddie Movies

I don't know about other places, but in Mexico, we celebrate Children's Day on April 30th. On that day, everyone displays their kiddie/baby pictures on Instagram (including myself), and schools throw parties or events for their students. All in all, it's great to be a kid on Children's Day!

Another great thing about being a kid was kiddie movies. I don't think they were as common as they are today. Ahh... the times before Pixar, Dreamworks, etcetera... I remember watching a lot of adult (not quite R-rated) movies growing up just because there weren't enough options for us back then.

Still, I have a list of personal favorite kiddie movies I thought I'd share today! Here they are in their release order:

1. The Land Before Time (1988). Only know researching about this movie I understand why it is so great: Steven Spielberg and George Lucas were both involved. Regardless, I watched this recently on Netflix and surprised myself at how much I remembered about it. But it is always different watching a kiddie movie (or any movie really) as an adult. This isn't just for children. There is so much to learn from it, about friendship, but also about being different and ultimately, how a group is made better and stronger with different kinds of members. 



2. The Little Mermaid (1989). Although nowadays I claim that my favorite Disney movie is 'The Sleeping Beauty', 'The Little Mermaid' is the first movie I remember watching. I remember my parents buying it for me while vacationing in the US, and me watching it on Betamax (I know), then VHS (until I tore the tape from watching it so many times and so my parents bought it again for me), then on DVD. I was 4 years old when it came out, so naturally I was totally into it. It may have helped that we went to Disney for the first time that year and I got a bunch of Mermaid related goodies, like that very same poster.

3. Home Alone (1990). This will also make it onto the Christmas movies category, but I had to include it here as well. 'Home Alone' is probably every kids dream come true, but also, every kid's nightmare. Being left alone in a huge house, specially when you have a big family has got to be one of the greatest things ever, for a kid. However, having burglars trying to break in has got the be the scariest thing ever, for pretty much anyone. Lucky for us, Kevin wasn't too scared, providing a fun filled Christmas Eve for us.

4. Ladybugs (1992). Growing up, this movie was a Pijama Party must (at least for me). I was in love with Jonathan Brandis and seeing him dressed up as a girl to help his future step dad (and also to get closer to his crush) was hilarious. Also it was a projection as I had always wanted to be in a girl soccer team but my school wouldn't allow girls to play soccer :(


5. Free Willy (1993). I'm not sure if people who are not Mexican know this, but Willy was played by Keiko, the killer whale from Mexico's former Reino Aventura. Even though I was a kid, I was moved by this movie. Having been to Water Parks with killer whales and other amazing creatures I was intrigued to see a movie about this. I was happy that Willy was freed. I cried like a baby.



6. The Little Rascals (1994). I was 9 years old when this movie hit theaters and it caused such an impact in my life I was ready to create my own club where boys weren't allowed. I wanted to become a racer (where does one get a car like 'the Blur'?) and me and my brother and sister even named our new puppy (which we literally got after seeing the movie) Spanky.

7. D2: The Mighty Ducks (1994). This was the first of the MD movies I ever watched and was hooked. I'm glad this was the first cause in my opinion it is the best one. I think I watched it on tv and then dragged my dad to Blockbuster to see if they had the first movie. Around the time I watched it, a roller blading rink opened in my hometown and I obviously wanted to join ther hockey team (that didn't happen). Plus, baby Joshua Jackson. Ducks fly together!

8. Jumanji (1995) Who didn't watch this movie and wanted to get their hands on the board game (although was actually a bit terrified that something bad would happen)? It was 1995 and if I'm not wrong, this was one of the very first fantasy movies, at least for our generation. You'd watch it and be amazed at the incredible effects (which all now seem very fake) although back then I'm pretty sure we all thought the lion and monkeys and everything else was real.

9. Casper (1995). Because I was familiar with the cartoon version of Casper, I was excited to see it going what we know call 'live action' (specially because Devon Sawa would play him). Although the story is actually kind of sad, it is also about friendship, which is what most kiddie movies should be about and well, Devon Sawa.

10. It Takes Two (1995). Before our generation's 'The Parent Trap' was 'It takes Two', starring the Olsen Twins. Although it isn't the same story, it involves identical girls switching places resulting in their respective autority figures falling in love. I started watching this movie in English classes on Saturdays and became obsessed with all things Twins and the rest is history.

Honorary mentions go to: All Dogs Go To Heaven + An American Tail. God, there are so many great kiddie movies I've left out. Oh, well, there's always next April. What do you think? What are your favorite kiddie movies?

G.

*The Land Before time via here.
*The Little Mermaid via here.
*Home Alone via here.
*Ladybugs via here.
*Free Willy via here.
*The Little Rascals via here.
*D2 via here.
*Jumanji via here.
*Casper via here.
*It Takes Two via here.

No comments:

Post a Comment