Thursday, May 28, 2015

RPQ: Expectations.


Think for a second in what your life 'should' be. What do you imagine?  Is your life today the same as what you imagined?

As of earlier this month, I'm 30 years old (wow). It feels strange to write it, let alone to say it out loud. And I never thought my life would be what it is. If anyone had asked me 15 years ago what I had pictured, I would have said something different. I figured by the time I turned thirty I'd be married and maybe even had a kid. I thought I'd be living elsewhere, and that I'd be either working at the place of my dreams (wherever that was) or owning my own business. 

And a few years ago, I would have been VERY disapointed to see that my life wasn't going towards what I had imagined so many years before. But why should I be disapointed because those things didn't happen/haven't happened yet? 

Today, I'm thirty, I am not married, nowhere near getting pregnant and as of this month, unemployed, yet again. But despite the fact that my 15 year old self predictions expectations didn't come true, I am very happy. 

The truth is, we never know what is going to happen. We may have an idea of what we want in our career and in our personal lives, but my guess is, most of the time, we don't have (complete) control over it. Life happens, things change, and suddenly we find ourselves living the life we are given, instead of the life we expected when we were younger.  Now, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as we are happy.

But that's the thing with expectations. Sometimes we get caught up in what is expected of us, by our parents, teachers, family, society. And because of them, we become disappointed when we don't achieve those things, which we shouldn't, because the only expectations we should live up to are our own.

So hey, you are free. Your life is not 'supposed to be' anything, but what you want it to be. Don't let anyone's expectations determine how you should live your own life.

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment