Monday, May 18, 2015

DIY Trays

Recently, I've become some sort of fan of trays, I know, I do realize it's a trend right now and there's a reason for that. But because there is no going to Target, Ikea or any other cool store where I can shop for nice trays where I live, I thought I'd make myself a couple. With a leftover box of Ferrero Rocher. Yes.

Here's what you need:
1 box of 24 pieces of Ferrero Rocher
1 or 2 sheets of  any kind of nice patterned or solid paper (I used tissue paper, that's why I'm recommending something else).
Contact paper
Assorted Washi tape
Double sided tape
Ruler
Scissors
Pen/pencil



First you need to eat all 24 pieces of chocolate. You can do it, I'm rooting for you. Then you're going to remove the plastic piece where the chocolates come. At the bottom of the clear plastic box, comes a squared piece of card stock (with nutritional information, logos, etc.) you need to hold onto. You will trace that piece over your chosen paper. Cut it with the scissors and put it aside. It will be a little loosen, which is ok.

Then you have to trace the same piece of card stock onto the contact paper. Once you've done this, cut it too and make sure both the contact paper square and paper you've chosen are the same size. It's ok if they don't exactly match. Now cut a few stripes (or triangles) of the double sided tape and paste them on the back side of the paper you've chosen. Then proceed to place the paper on one of the 'trays'. Now that it's been secured, carefully apply the contact paper on top. Be careful not to wrinkle the paper! (That's why I don't recommend tissue paper like I used). Like I said before, it's ok if they don't exactly match.


It's time to use the Washi tape. I chose a contrasting color (mint) to secure the paper + contact paper to the tray, by putting it along the sides of it and cutting the overlaps in a 45 degree angle and there you go! For the second 'tray' (the chocolate box' cover) I used a different pattern and also added a shape at the center using the same tape I used on the sides.

This project is completely customizable to your liking, easy, cheap and it took me like 20 minutes to make! But I guess that depends on how precise you are with measurements and stuff. I'm pretty obsesive and other than the fact the paper wrinkled I think they turned out quite pretty :) Another option is using the 48 piece box of chocolates for larger trays, which is something I'd totally be willing to try!

g.

No comments:

Post a Comment